In this article, we will show you how to add multiple authors to your WordPress blog website.
In WordPress, you get an inbuilt user management system that allows you to add users with different roles and capabilities allowing you to add new users without worrying about the safety of your site.
Adding a New Author on Your WordPress Website
First, you have to add users and then choose the user role for them. There are two ways to add new users to your WordPress site. You can add user registration functionality on your WordPress site, or you can add the users manually.
The first method is useful when you want to invite a lot of people to join your site or want to make a community. This method will allow your users to create an account on your WordPress website. But, if you want to add a few users to your site, then you can easily add them manually.
To add a new user (Author) on your WordPress site, go to the Users » Add New and a form will come out. You have to fill the form.
- Provide a username, the user has to remember the username to login., so use something that is easy to remember. It will be good if you use their name for the username.
- Then, you need to enter the email address of the user. Check the email address properly, because the users will need this email address if they want to reset their passwords, or to receive email notifications.
- The first name, last name fields are optional. you can fill it or leave it as it is.
- Now choose a password. You must use a strong password. You can use an online strong password generator to create a strong password. Below the password fields, there is a checkbox. If you check that it will send the password to the user via email. The users will receive their login information on the email address which you entered in this form.
- Choosing the user role is the last option on the page. You have to select the role for that user. In this case, simply select the Author role, as you want to add a new Author on your website.
- Each user role comes provides different capabilities to your users. You need to choose a role depending on their tasks.
Understanding User Roles in WordPress
WordPress comes with these default user roles:
If you have the user role of Administrator, then you can add new posts, delete and edit any posts of other users. Also, you can add new users to the website, remove any user from the website(even if the other user is Administrator, too). The best part of this administrator role is you have access to the information of other existing users, also their password.
If you have the user role of editor in the WordPress website, then you the control over the content sections of that website. You can add, delete, publish, and edit any posts on a WordPress website even if the posts written by other users. Also, you can moderate, delete, and edit any comments with an editor role.
If you have the user role of the author in the WordPress website, then you can write, edit, publish, and delete your posts. You can also view comments and pending reviews, but cannot approve, moderate, or delete any comments.
If you have the user role of Contributor in the WordPress website, then you can only add and edit your posts but cannot publish it. When you are writing a post, you have to choose categories which are existing because you cannot create new categories, but you allow to add tags to your posts.
If you have the user role of Subscriber in the WordPress website, then you can only allow to login and update your user profile on that site. If you want to change your password, you can change it.
How to Change the author
As an administrator, you can easily change the author’s name. Go to the post and click on the Quick Edit option of that post. There you will see an Author option where you can change the Author of that post. Also, you can remove the users from your WordPress site or edit a user’s profile and change any information including their passwords. Simply click on the Users and edit or delete the user anytime you want.
I hope this article helped you learn how to add new users and authors to your WordPress site.
If you liked this article, Thank me ❤️ by sharing this article.